Friday, August 6, 2010

Lynne Torgerson Answers Accusations of Racism and Bigotry

Ordinarily, I would not share the information and sentiments in this writing, because generally speaking, people never talk about these things, and, some of these things are private.  However, because I have raised very sensitive issues, and because some people do not understand what my message is, I feel it is necessary to write the following.

I am sorry for the pain, and other consequences, people of color, particularly black Americans,  have suffered because of racism.  Racism is wrong.  It produces hatred.  I also want to emphasize that I am not a racist, nor a bigot.  My entire life is integrated.  I support integration.  My friendships are integrated.  My work is integrated.  My church is integrated.  Also, because I have raised these sensitive issues, I guess I should disclose that I have dated men of several different races and nationalities, including black men.  So, my entire life refutes that I am racist.

I am also a criminal defense lawyer.  I have devoted over 20 years of my life to defending the civil and constitutional rights of people of all races, nationalities, faiths, and life styles.  I have fought racism in the courts for over 20 years.  My clients know this.  So, again, my entire life refutes all accusations that I am racist or a bigot.  

I agree with Martin Luther King that people are not to be judged by the color of their skin.  This means that no one of any race gets to be racist.  I must add that I oppose racism by any race.  White people are not to be racist.  Also, black people are not to be racist.  In my book, no one gets a pass.  I expect the same out of my black sisters and brothers as my white sisters and brothers.

I also support affirmative action.

Further, just because I am running against Keith Ellison, who happens to be black, does not mean that I am running against him because he is black.  And, that is not why I am running against him.  Nor does the fact that I am running against him mean that I am racist.  

I should also point out that my message and platform has nothing to do with religion.  I support, pursuant to the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, of anyone's right to worship the god of their choosing, including the moon god Allah.  However, we must learn that Islamic Law, Sharia Law, is only in part, a religion.  The remainder is a political ideology, and some of it contrasts with our criminal laws and our Constitutional rights.  Also, we must realize that there are millions of radical Islamists who wish to destroy America.  That is what I am coming against.  Not any race.  Not any religion.  I have been fighting for American's constitutional rights and civil rights for over 20 years, and I have no intention of standing idly by and permitting anyone to infringe on our freedoms and United States Constitution, regardless of their race or religion.   

Thank you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.